Substance abuse is not new within the construction industry. Opioid abuse and legalized marijuana (medicinal or recreational use), however, are increasing dramatically. As a result, construction employers now face additional risks related to employees, other contractors, or subcontractors who may be substance abusers. The problem is primarily one of workplace safety, but extends to employment practices, insurance, and even government contracts.
- You will be able to identify key company policies to review and how to discuss potential changes with HR or legal department.
- You will be able to discuss workplace safety issues related to on-the-job substance abuse and impairment.
- The best way to respond to an incident and subsequent OSHA inspection.
- You will be able to describe key risk issues, including workplace safety, insurance, and other contractual risks.
- You will be able to review where to look up applicable state and federal laws.