Avetta in the News
- Hollywood's Deepwater Horizon Film Simplifies a Complicated Issue – Industrial Safety & Hygiene News: Equipped with a deep knowledge of contractor vetting, Avetta co-founder Jared Smith spoke with ISHN to address the recent release of the Deepwater Horizon film and whether Hollywood was prepared to tackle such a layered issue.
- Moving to a Modern Development Stack with Code Quality at Avetta – Codacy: Learn how Avetta has improved code quality with the help of automated code review service Codacy as Avetta Senior Software Developer Brian Wang discusses how recent improvements have resulted in a more efficient site and even happier customers.
- Controversial Provisions Added to OSHA’s Proposed Modernization Updates – Society for Human Resource Management: OSHA’s recently proposed 18 provisions that aim to update the agency’s dated practices are facing opposition from employers as some question if the lockout/tagout rule, in particular, should be reviewed more closely. Currently stating machines be required to be disconnected from their power source when the "unexpected energization" of the equipment could result in injury, individuals are instead proposing the word “unexpected” be removed, in order to eliminate potential confusion over when the rule applies.
- New at Cal/OSHA: Redefined ‘Repeat’ Citations and Electronic Appeals Tracking – Safety BLR: Initially provoked by the 2008-2009 deaths of several Las Vegas strip workers, California OSHA revised its definition of repeat citation, in order to more closely align with federal OSHA’s definition. The investigation and effort to further streamline Cal/OSHA have also led to the October implementation of paperless reporting.
- Procurement or Supply Chain? What's the Difference? And Should There be a Difference? – Forbes: Based on modern definitions, does a difference between supply chain and procurement still exist? This article discusses how technological improvements continue to merge the two practices, while the ultimate goal for both is to manage third-party relationships as efficiently as possible.
- Three Tips for Your Next Supply Chain Crisis – Supply Chain Management Review: In light of recent headline-making supply chain crises, this article takes a look at how to approach a potential emergency situation as level-headedly as possible. The three tips outlined include accepting the inevitability of “normal accidents”, collaborating with authorities and being transparent.
Supplier Violations and Fines
- Illinois Manufacturer Cited After Mobile Trailer Crushes Employee – Occupational Health & Safety: Following a recent mobile medical trailer incident involving a worker at an Illinois jobsite, a serious safety violation was issued. Following the post-accident investigation, however, an additional six violations were issued, including one for lack of lockout/tagout program and one surrounding the failure to properly train workers.
- PennDOT: Contractor Responsible for Pittsburgh Bridge Fire Owes $3M in Damages – Construction DIVE: Following the September Liberty Bridge fire, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has assessed $3.3 million worth of damages. The penalty is the largest single-contractor penalty within the last 10 years. OSHA will continue to investigate the fire separately.