- Accidents Happen—Here’s How to Recognize Critical Incident Stress – Safety BLR: Workers who have witnessed a serious accident in the workplace, possibly even the death of a coworker, may be left with feelings of trauma. Critical stress management can have a serious impact on the mental health of your employees after any such incident. Be sure to watch for physical, emotional, cognitive and/or behavioral-related symptoms in yourself and others affected by the incident.
- National Safe Work Month – Safe Work Australia: Of note, October is National Safe Work Month in Australia. Aimed to improve awareness of work health and safety, NSWM encourages a healthy discussion around safety at work. Want to get involved? More details can be found here.
- How Supply Chain Management Affects a Company’s Risk Management Strategy – Logistics Magazine: Taking preventative steps today can help your business avoid disruption during supply chain troubles in the future. This starts with preparing and developing a plan. You then need to understand and predict the potential risks your supply chain may face. Inevitably, when the day comes that your company experiences a disruption, put your plans into action and manage the crisis efficiently and effectively.
Supplier Violations and Fines
- MA Contractor Facing $120K OSHA Fine After Trench Cave-In – Construction DIVE: A Massachusetts contactor is facing $120,000 in fines after the collapse of a 12-foot-deep trench. The contractor was previously fined nearly $200,000 after being issued one willful and three serious violations due to not providing adequate trench protection. Although this particular case was not fatal, this incident could have taken a turn for the worst.
- Big Fine Issued in Washington State Forklift Case – Occupational Health & Safety: The Washington State Department of Labor & Industries has issued $117,740 in fines to a Westport-based processing plant. Many of the violations related to forklift safety, such as inadequate forklift inspections and failure to fix reported defects.